Monday 16 November 2020

Roots 66 A Brief History Onstage

During lockdown we amused ourselves by curating music videos from YouTube and playing them for a select group of people on Friday nights.  This list is the set I created to celebrate my 66th birthday on October 9th (John Lennon shares the date).  The text is reproduced from the chat screen that we use when presenting the videos.  Enjoy, find and listen to the music too.

Happy Birthday to Me - Bass Guitar

I am 66 today (Oct 9) so I felt I should celebrate this with all of you and take you on my musical journey which I have called Roots 66, though it really should be Musical Roots 66
My foray into stage performances actually began with playing rhythm guitar and drums at weddings along with the Elloy brothers, Raymond and Jeffrey (RIP). The band Beat Route was formed with my brother Noel (guitar, vocal) and a few local friends - Gordon Rosario (Drums), Jeff Rodgers (Guitar) and Leslie Gabriel (Guitar & vocal). Those were my bass playing years -- on a home made bass guitar which took me 6 months to make - there was no YouTube How To in those days. Beat Route played for a couple of years at the Calcutta Swimming Club and a few random weddings and parties. 

This session takes a look at some of the music that we played and that shaped our musical tastes of the time. Especially playing in the college band for four years with James Carvey, Kenneth Bell and Les Gabriel!

BJ Thomas Hooked on a feeling -- This version by BJ Thomas (originally by Blue Swede) - one of the first songs ever played with my band at the Calcutta Swimming Club where we lasted for some years. I learnt the song playing with Maki Dastur though I have forgotten the band's name! BJ Thomas is better known for Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head. 

CSNY Love the one you're with -- A song that my brother Noel and I used to harmonize along with some other favourites from CSNY, the Beatles and others. Vocal harmony was big in those days - we had an acoustic quartet with Grenville and Gloria Daunt and my sister Carol and myself. 

Santana Black magic woman -- Kala Jadu Aurat was the name given by our lead guitarist Jeff Rodgers. He played a 7 string guitar when anything with more than 6 strings was a piano!

Eagles One of these nights -- Loved this one for the bass line that defined the song, and of course the harmony vocals with Noel and Leslie Gabriel

Grand funk Railroad Are you ready? -- This song brings back memories when Noel, Gordon and I were rehearsing at home. My sister, Carol, burst in and asked "Why are you singing Ayurvedic? Why can't you sing Homeopathic instead?" Mark, Don and Mel were Grand Funk Railroad - we also played (smiles) We're an American Band.

Beatles Rock and Roll Music -- Rock and roll music defined a lot of what we did in those days. The Beatles just did it better than most, with guitars, harmonies and a great back beat

Eric Clapton Sunshine of your love -- A Cream original - here's an Eric Clapton version. Couldn't find a good version of the Cream original with Jack Bruce (Bass & Vocal), Ginger Baker (Drums) and Eric (Lead & vocals). For awhile my band comprised Noel (Lead & vocal), Gordon Rosario (Drums & vocal) and me (Bass & vocal) - with others coming and going.

Wild Cherry Play that funky music -- Everyone played this song. Everyone still plays it. Black, Brown or Yellow we all still sing Play that funky music, white boy!

Earth Wind & Fire In the Stone -- Never played this, always imagined we would someday. EWF were a strong influence on my musical tastes which helped me make the transition to a lover of jazz funk.

Bee Gees Words --- This is the original which the two Leslie's used to harmonize. Somewhere down the road the lyrics and music changed to what everyone sings these days.

Electric Light Orchestra Roll over Beethoven -- My favourite, whenever I am asked to sing some rock and roll. It helps to clear the house fairly quickly.

Crosby Stills Nash (& Young) Woodstock -- The festival changed the way we enjoyed music, the song defined the entire culture of the era. And CSNY defined vocal harmony for us

Rolling Stones Jumpin Jack Flash -- Rock and Roll anthems had to include Jumpin Jack Flash. On our ancient cassette recorders we tried to decipher Jagger's lyrics.

Little River Band Reminiscing -- A favourite of the two Leslies - this band was one of my favourites for listening and playing pleasure.

Doobie Brothers Long Train Running -- Anyone who grew up in the 80s had to play The Doobie Brothers' Long Train Running and Listen to the Music, at least.

The High Years - Piano & Keys

I'm not even sure how I got into the rock band, High. One day I ended up playing piano with Dilip Balakrishnan (RIP), Nondon Bagchi, Lew Hilt (and for awhile Richard 'Fuzz' Francis) and Subir Chatterjee. Concerts kept us busy - from college fests, the most memorable of which was IIT-Delhi, to public concerts at Vidya Mandir, to Jazz Fest at ITF Pavilion - and rehearsals led us to fall in love with Dilip's compositions. In respect for Dilip I have avoided trying to play his music here, but have picked up a selection of other covers that we played as a band.

Grateful Dead US Blues -- Nondon's favourite for vocals. And mine for piano. We had fun on the Vidya Mandir stage at High Velocity.

Pink Floyd Wish you were here -- The first concert where I got to use electronics to make music - the Roland Jupiter 4. We did a lot of experimenting with Pink Floyd's music and Subir and I tried to get this song exactly as recorded

Dire Straits Lady Writer -- The only time I got a chance to sing solo in High (in my new red shirt yet!). I am sure the feedback ensured I never sang alone again. :-D

Traffic Low Spark of High Heeled Boys -- There's a recording of this on the FB Page for High. Enjoyed playing acoustic piano and synthesizer together in Vidya Mandir back in the 80s. Steve Winwood was a favourite

Stevie Wonder Master Blaster (Jammin') -- This song has a history with all of us at Nondon's house picking up the music over one whole night. Naturally four fingers of liquid was nicknamed Master Blaster in memory of that night.

Joan Armatrading: Show some emotion -- We played a few concerts with the Rhythm n Blues label with Anjum Katyal on vocals. Entirely her choice of music. I loved the synth work we had to do on this song. Not to mention the groove.

Dire Straits with Phil Collins, Sting, Clapton Money for Nothing -- To me this is a celebration of incredible musicians playing together. 

This song is a classic.  Rolling Stones Route 66 -- Well, obviously. Thank you for coming and making my evening so enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment